Trauma Therapy in South Dakota
Seeking an experienced trauma focused therapist in South Dakota? The journey to healing begins here. The majority of us will experience trauma in our lifetime whether it’s COVID-19 related, a traumatic accident, abuse and/or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war or a natural disaster. There is also the exposure to “secondary trauma” and many do not realize the impact of hearing or witnessing the experiences, stories or events of others on their mental health.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends, others may discover the effects of past and present trauma impacting day to day life functioning. Traumatic events can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion or post-traumatic stress long after the event has passed.
In these circumstances, the support, guidance and assistance of an experienced therapist is fundamental to healing.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. Most commonly, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is used in treating trauma.
If you or someone you know in South Dakota suffers from the trauma symptoms listed above, I invite you to contact me for a consultation.